Rideau is a multi-purpose street, with high pedestrian traffic; it is also a main arterial road, a transit corridor and a major truck route. In June 2012, Taggart broke ground on the first phase of the Rideau Street Renewal which runs from Dalhousie to Chapel. The project consists of full reconstruction of the aging infrastructure as well as aesthetic improvements.
The Rideau Street upgrades include:
• Water main, storm, sanitary and combined sewers
• Water and sewer services to buildings
• Road structure and paving
• Sidewalks, bike lanes and bus shelters
• Hydro and communication utilities
• Traffic signals, street lighting and signage
• Landscaping and Artwork
As one of Ottawa’s busiest streets, locals, tourists and businesses alike will reap the benefits of these functional and attractive improvements to Rideau Street for years to come. The first phase is scheduled for completion in fall 2012, and the second phase, from Chapel to the Rideau River is set to begin summer 2013.